| Side view before surgery vs today. |
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Distraction Update
It's been awhile since we've updated on Maddie's progress, I guess because everything has been going as planned. We have been seeing Dr. Buchman (the plastic surgeon) once a week for the last 5 weeks and every time he comes to the same conclusion that everything looks good, but he thinks we should still distract more. And every week, Ian and I leave his office with just a little bit of disappointment because we feel like we have been distracting forever. If you remember, the first time Maddie had a distraction, when she was about 5 weeks old, we only distracted for about 12 days, and then the device came out about 6 weeks later. The reason Dr. Buchman wants to keep distracting is because from his experience, he finds that it is better to over distract a little bit because as the bone heals it will retract some and the whole purpose is to try to improve her sleep apnea by pulling her jaw forward enough to open her airway. So we trust and support him 100% and know that we all want what is best for our daughter. We go back to the doctor again this Thursday, and are hoping we will finally hear the news that we are done distracting. As of today, we have been distracting for 38 days which in theory has pulled her jaw forward about 38mm give or take some. Overall, they are very impressed with her progress thus far and can't get over how happy and unaffected she appears to be. She honestly has one of the best personalities I have ever seen on a kid - nothing, I mean nothing, stops her!! As far as how she looks, I guess it is hard for me to tell because I see her everyday. The biggest place I can tell a difference is by looking at her teeth b/c she has quite the under bite now, which is good in this instance. And overtime, that will correct itself either on it's own, or with the help of an orthodontist. As far as her trach goes...we have no complaints. She is doing so much better with everything than I could have imagined. We change her ties every night and the actual trach once a week and she never fusses, she just sits there, let's us do what we need to, and then goes about her business.
Please keep your fingers crossed for good news on Thursday!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can see such a difference already. I am so thrilled about her progress, how she is handling everything (honestly not surprised at all...this is Miss Maddie we are talking about) and I'm so proud of you both as parents. I hope Ian had a great father's day. He really deserves it.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you all and I'll keep thinking of you guys and hoping for the best on Thursday.