Long story short, once again my fingers are crossed that there just might be a light at the end of this tunnel. This past Wednesday Maddie had surgery to have her tonsils removed along with a little dental work. Going into surgery, Dr. Passamini (Maddie's ENT) wasn't positive if he would be able to successfully remove her tonsils but thought it was worth a try saying that her mouth could open more than it had in the past. This is an ongoing struggle we have with Maddie, mostly due to past surgeries and scar tissue. Thankfully, the surgery was a success! I gotta say I was a little nervous about recovery, most people I had talked to these past few weeks, including Maddie's school nurse and a few staff members said that most kids that have this surgery are out for about 10 days. Well not my kid, seriously, I think she would have gone to school on Thursday had I let her. As far as pain goes, I think she's mentioned maybe twice that her throat hurts a little but that's it. I can barely bribe her to take the pain meds prescribed instead she'll take a does of regular Tylenol here and there. She's a strong little girl I tell ya!
| Loving on baby brother before heading to the hospital. |
The next step in working towards decannulation is to get yet another sleep study. The ENT told me that typically they wait 4 months after a tonsillectomy for a sleep study but I quickly put my foot down on that. So June 22nd Ian and Maddie will load up and head to the hospital and hopefully this time Maddie will be cold/allergy free so we can get the best results possible. A week or two after that we will follow up with Dr. Passamani and hopefully we will hear the news we've been wanting to hear for the past year or so. Oh to be trach free...
No comments:
Post a Comment