So here's the plan for tomorrow. We will arrive at the hospital at 9am, and Maddie is scheduled for surgery to start at 10:00am. They said the OR is booked for 3 1/2 hours, which seems like such a long time, but we are trying to take care of as many things while she is under anesthesia as we can. The first part of surgery will consist of Dr. Buchman removing the distractors. This in and of itself is a pretty simple process (or so he says) and should only take about 15 mins. He will also be doing a frenulectomy, which is fancy talk for snipping the string thing underneath her tongue. The speech therapist thinks this might give her more lingual movement and enable her to work on some of the speech sounds she is having trouble with. At that point, the dental team will take over, and this is where we cross our fingers and hope they can address some of the dental issues we have been having. As I have mentioned before she has a limited mouth opening which makes it very hard for us to brush her teeth. The dentist is hoping that he will be able to get a better look at her teeth, get some good x-rays, do a good cleaning, and if possible either pull some of the teeth with cavities or get in to fill them. They won't know the game plan until they get a good look and see how much of an opening they have to work with. Worse case scenario, they tell us they weren't able to do anything. And that brings us to the final event to take care of while she is under and that is getting a CT Scan of her jaw for the oral surgeon. He needs to get a good look at her jaw bone and see why her mouth does not open very wide. He thinks she has a fused jaw bone which is limiting her mobility but wants to make sure. After all of that is done she will be taken to recovery for probably 1-2 hours. They say we can go back as soon as she is awake, which I hope doesn't take too long.
So far she seems in pretty good spirits and is excited about getting her bars out. We told her that the trach will not be coming out yet and she seems to understand and is okay with it. She did ask Ian tonight at bedtime if they were going to put a feeding tube in her nose, and earlier this week she was questioning me to make sure we would be there the whole time. So while I say she is doing okay, it does sadden me to know that she is probably more aware of what is going than I think she is...
| Say GOODBYE to the bars!!! |
| Maddie doing her 'Happy Dance' because her bars are coming off tomorrow! |
I wish I lived closer to you guys to lend a hand anyway I could. I'm so proud of you Megan. You are an inspiration in my life. An amazing mommy through and through. I hope Maddie's recovery goes smoothly and that she will be home very soon and enjoying a good night's rest.
ReplyDeleteHUGS