Thursday, September 29, 2011

Getting back into the swing of things...

Well, the bars may still be there, but I am happy that the end is in sight and activities are finally starting to pick back up.  School started a few weeks ago and so far so good.  Maddie is loving it, just as she did last year.  She is in a class with 19 other kids, probably about 1/3 she knew from last year and the rest are new friends.  And I have to be honest, kids this age are the best.  Their innocence to the world is just amazing.  The first two weeks of school I went and stayed with Maddie.  Mostly out of nerves, but also her doctor was a little apprehensive about her going to school while still having the distraction on.  And the other main reason is because we needed to train Mrs. Bonnie (Maddie's teacher) on trach care, and unfortunately Ian has been working long hours and we have had a hard time coordinating a time to do this.  But back to the awesome kids in Maddie's class...On the first day during morning circle, Mrs. Bonnie, Maddie, and I took a few minutes to explain to the kids what Maddie's distraction was, that they just needed to be really careful not to bump it, and that not to worry it would be off in a few weeks.  While a few kids have asked additional questions to see if it hurts, how did they get those bars in there, etc, some have said in the sweetest little voice that they were worried about her, but for the most part they have gone about their day interacting and playing with my little girl as if nothing was different, and that is what I LOVE about kids.  I really think we as adults could learn a few things from our little ones!!  Finally, last Friday Ian was able to leave work early and we were able to train Mrs. Bonnie on trach care.  It was so funny, because I think Maddie could have pretty much done the training on her own, she is very aware of what everything is, what needs to be done when and was a great help in the training.  This past Monday I dropped Maddie off and left for the first time this year, I was so nervous, but Maddie she could care less.  I couldn't even get a hug good bye, but I did get a yelled "I love you" as I was half way out the door.  Happy to report that she had a great day with no issues in regards to her trach or distraction.  I'd say we're off to a pretty good start to another great school year!!


Posing with Daddy on the first day of school!

It's all about the 'Hello Kitty'






















Circle time with all of her friends!

In addition to school, Maddie has also started back up with speech.  We have a new therapist this year, but I think she is going to work out really well, Maddie has fun going and is responding well to her so that is good.  The other difference is that instead of going once a week for an hour (like she has always done) she is going twice a week for 30 minutes each time.  I'm sure it will work out just fine, just a change we have to get used to!   And hopefully, once we get the distraction off I can find a dance class for her to start.  This kid LOVES to dance and I know this is just what she needs after a very long and uneventful summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment